My English classes went great. In November they started off as beginner class for incoming high school students, towards the end of the course in January, classes consist of some high schoolers, some primary students, parents and community members, and the occasional stray dog(s). My hodge podge english classes brought me some much needed practice in the classroom, and I have now gotten to meet and work with a variety of people from my community.
Below is one of my students during our activity of the human body. A student would yell a body part and another student a number in English, they could then interpret that however they wanted. We named this monster "Daly"
I was in charge of the recycled materials crafts. Each group had a type of animal: reptiles, mammals, birds, etc. and they then had to create a mask of that type of animal using only recycled materials.
In January I moved to my new house, the couple I lived with told me they would going on vacation all of January which meant I'd get the house to myself, WOOHOO!
Well they failed to mention they'd be taking the stove with them. They called and said I could use the grill in the backyard. So I knew this would be difficult seeing as lighter fluid doesn't exist in this country so after 30 minutes of using all my wilderness skills, I gave up on lighting it and went to look for help from a neighbor. This hunt actually helped me meet many of my neighbors until I could find someone to help. Of course she lit it up instantly! She did use plastic to start the fire though so....
So I put what I wanted to cook on the grill, after about 15 minutes I turned around and realized my pit-bull was going straight for the kitchen door. I ran ahead of him and shut the door in his face...OH CRAP! I don't have the keys for this door. I am now stuck in my backyard, food is burning on the grill, I have nothing to remove it from the fire,and I am the only one home!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ok Michelle, don't panic. I tried to open the many doors in that backyard, tried to look for some kind of rag to remove the food from the grill and even tried to climb the 15 foot wall around my house, I failed at all.
The next thing I did was call my host sister and see if she could break in and rescue me...nope! The food was burnt, I began to panic that I punched the kitchen window which to my surprise OPENED! It was very high so I had to stack charcoal to climb up onto the windowsill, once I was up I bumped into the grill and sent black smoke all into my eyes to which I then started to cry and fell into the kitchen sink, but....I WAS IN!!!
The next day I went and bought my own stove and now I always put a door stop when I go to the backyard. Lesson well learned. Let's see what this month has in store for me! Bring it Nicaragua